Festivals & Events
Mabel Bell Day – Women in Science and Engineering Day Camp
Update: Due to COVID-19, the visitor experience at Parks Canada-administered places may be different than it has been in the past.
Please visit pc.gc.ca/ns and follow Parks Canada’s social media channels for information and updates on the status of all Parks Canada-administered places
Women in Science and Engineering Day Camp
In partnership with Cape Breton University and IslandWISE, Parks Canada would like to invite girls aged 11-14 to participate in a fun day of learning all about Mabel Bell and experiencing hands-on STEM activities.
Where: Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site, Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, NS
When: Tuesday, July 12, 9AM – 4:30PM
Did you know that Canada’s first human flight may not have happened without Mabel Bell?!
Not only did Mabel recruit young engineers to collaborate with her husband, Alexander Graham Bell, but she also financed many of their experiments.
- games to learn about Mabel Bell and other trailblazing Women in Science
- explore plants and pollinators in Mabel Bell’s reconstructed gardens
- learn more about the science of hearing and sound
- build a human food web
- build and fly a kite (weather permitting!)
- participants’ families can join for a free tour of the museum at the end of the day
- lunch is provided
This event is free although pre-registration is required.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information